Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vanellope von Schweetz as Christ

Last night watched the video of Wreck-It Ralph with my daughter. We'd seen it in the theater a few months ago, but when I watched it again I was blown away by how much the story is an allegory of Christ.

I searched around a bit online for anyone else who'd seen the same thing, but only saw some web published sermon by a pastor who thought the film had a Christian message and thought the Christ character was Ralph.

Uggh. He completely missed it. Just like most thoroughly Catholicized pastors in this country, he utterly and abysmally missed it.

The Christ character is clearly Vanellope, the little girl who is truly queen of her video game world but is found living the dirty, lonely life of a common person. The more I think about the things in this film, the more I am profoundly captivated by how allegorical it is.

Among them, just for a taste, is that to realize her true royalty at the end of the story, she must cross the finish line, a checkered strip in the road that is colored not black and white but red and white. That's just one I recently thought about, and is just a very small example -- there are many more.

I'm not getting into them all now. Watch it again and see for yourself. Watch how Vanellope is limited as a glitch by her world, just like Jesus was as a human in His. Watch how Sugar Rush explodes in brightness when Vanellope is seen as the true monarch, just like the Kingdom is realized when people recognize the deity of Jesus and believe on Him. Watch how she really has an innate certainty about herself and who she is, and watch how evil forces are bent on keeping people from seeing who she really is.

And watch how she dies to herself to rescue others from themselves. Yes, at the end Ralph tries to give his life to save the day, but tragically flawed heroes do that. A lot of us may give that a good try.

Only God does it out of love and then rises from the grave to ensure He gets to hang out with the people He loves.

Yes, it is just a kid's movie, I know that. The point is I am saddened by how few people see what I saw, shrug it off as just that nothing kid's flick. That in and of itself is no big deal.

I'm much more saddened by the paucity of perceptive people who can speak about biblical things, indeed articulate rich truthful phenomenally gracious things that are the most meaningful to converse about.

Just have to write that here. With so many people putting stuff online I just can't see how there aren't some who see it and enjoy vibrantly engaging others about it.

But then maybe there are just too many who're so hypnotically entranced by the World that they can't help but say those terribly depressing words, "I just don't understand what you're saying nor do I care to."

No comments: